What’s your “new normal”?
How are you, friends? Are you healthy? Stressed? Practicing social distancing and following state and local shelter-in-place guidelines and curfews? Coping with working from home (if you’re able)? Finding a new appreciation for your kids' teachers? The world so quickly changed for us all over the past 4-6 weeks! This newsletter, and updates on our website, will provide you information about COVID-19’s impact on those of you wondering if the new exam is still changing on July 1, 2020, those of you ready to sit for a PMP® exam, what PMI’s hardship provision allows for and how to request it, and good resources (with discounts!) that you could investigate if you’re looking to add or brush up on skills while waiting for what our “new normal” will look like. In the meantime, if there’s any way our chapter can be helpful to you in this chaotic time, please don’t hesitate to contact us at email@example.com.
While we can’t meet in person for a bit, we’d like to offer some resources you might find helpful, whether in response to this pandemic, to the fast-approaching hurricane season or any other unexpected event. These are just a few of the many resources available to you:
- PMI’s COVID-19 response page announces that PMI is postponing the launch of the new PMP exam until January 2, 2021. It also provides information about impacted events and for PMP certification candidates, particularly those whose exams were recently canceled by the closure of test centers or for those ready to schedule their exam. PMI is exploring other solutions for test delivery, but to-date nothing has been announced. Continue to check the page for updates. You can also check the status of your local testing center by checking PearsonVUE’s Coronavirus Update Page. Currently the site indicates that exams may be scheduled starting May 1st or later but check back to the page for the most current information.
- PMI’s hardship provision is available to any PMI member whose financial condition has changed drastically and sufficiently so that a member would have difficulty renewing their membership. A member must be in good standing for at least three previous years to qualify for the hardship provision. Read more details to see how PMI can help in tough times.
- Now could be a good time to brush up on existing skills or build a new skill. Many providers are offering discounts on their offerings. Here are just a few resources you could find helpful:
- Do you access projectmanagement.com? If not, you should have this awesome site bookmarked! It offers webinars (live and don-demand), templates, blogs, polls and so much more! Most of the content is free for PMI members—just log in with your PMI credentials.
- IIL (International Institute for Learning, Inc.) is offering a 15% savings through April 30th with promo code VIRTUAL15. Check out their online offerings and sign up today for things like exam prep courses, ITIL® (4) Foundation, Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt, and other topics like design thinking, communication skills, managing multiple projects, change management or time management and productivity…and lots more!
- Velociteach is offering a 20% discount for virtual PMP®/CAPM® bootcamps in April with promo code APRIL20 when you register by April 30th.
POSTPONED: April Dinner Meeting
We will look to reschedule what was to be our April chapter dinner meeting later in June, should it be safe to do so then. We still plan to mee at McElroy’s on the Bayou in Ocean Springs to hear from Angelos Apeitos, Hatchery Manager at USM’s Thad Cochran Marine Aquaculture Center in Ocean Springs, MS. His presentation will also include a look ahead to the role aquaculture will play in the Mississippi Blue Economy in the future.
Our chapter’s new look: logo and website and Facebook and LinkedIn, oh my!
By now you know we were excited to reveal our new chapter logo at the February 20th dinner meeting! The lighthouse in the logo has been updated to be a little more streamlined, while still preserving the history of the previous logo and representing landmarks that are built into the fabric of the Mississippi Gulf Coast region. Just a couple of weeks ago, our chapter website (and this newsletter!) was updated to match the PMI brand. Like the rest of the world who’s plans, schedules and risk registers were impacted by the rapid onset of COVID-19, we’re getting caught up on adding to our website, as well as updating our chapter's Facebook and LinkedIn pages. Stay tuned as we continue to roll out the new look of PMI Mississippi Gulf Coast Chapter! While we’re adhering to social distancing guidelines, all in-person events are currently on-hold and will be rescheduled when it’s safe to do so. Our event listing page on our website will keep you updated!
Looking for PDUs?
Would you, or someone you know, like to give a 45-60 minute presentation on a topic relevant to our profession? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org or contact any Board member to discuss. Guest speakers receive their meal and PDUs for free!
PMI Mississippi Gulf Coast Chapter is proud to work with the International Institute for Learning, Inc. (IIL) to provide you 24-hour access to the latest content and courses IIL has to offer. All courses listed in our online catalog are available at the PMI Mississippi Gulf Coast Chapter Member preferred pricing and include live virtual and self-paced courses as well as online conferences.
The 2020 Board of Directors thanks each of you for your continued membership and support, and we look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events! Stay healthy and safe, and if we can be of service at any time, please don’t hesitate to contact us using the Board of Directors page on our website.