Welcome to mid-summer on the Mississippi Gulf Coast! It’s HOT, but that doesn’t slow us down! In fact, we’re very close to welcoming our 100th chapter member! While we’re preparing to celebrate that achievement, PMI is also celebrating its 50th Anniversary this year! Let’s have a party…a FREE party! We’ll celebrate these accomplishments and more in September when we host our Annual Membership Meeting and we want you to be a part of the fun! But as with most projects, we have some work to do. Read on to find out about our upcoming events and the 2020 Chapter Board elections, supported by electronic voting this year.
- Thurs Aug 22 Dinner meeting: Planning for the End (of the economic expansion) The economy continues to be resilient despite many calling for a recession. Do you know how this impacts your planned cap-ex spending and project budgeting? Take a deep dive into what’s driving the economy as well as emerging trends that may affect corporate spending. Additionally, we'll discuss the implications on your retirement plan and what things should you be considering. Think about budgeting and risk mitigation for yourself…beyond the project! Register by Aug 19th and save $5!
- Thurs Sept 26 Annual Membership Meeting: PMI is celebrating its 50th Anniversaryand we're having a PARTY! Join us for FREE food and giveaways, hear what the chapter has accomplished so far this year, what's being planned for next year, and meet the chapter's upcoming 2020 Board of Directors! Learn how you can be a part of the action, from revitalizing the Katrina sculptures to helping plan and host a major learning event with lots of PDU opportunities—right here on the Mississippi Gulf Coast! The food and non-alcoholic drinks are on us! Please register so we have a headcount for the food, then show up to enjoy the celebration! We are finalizing our location and will update you soon!
- Thurs Oct 17 Dinner meeting: The Evolution of Engineering (CAD) in Manufacturing. Stay tuned for more details! Register by Oct 15th and save $5!
- Thurs Nov 21 Dinner meeting: Upcoming changes to the PMP exam, and what PMI's Transformation means to you. Stay tuned for more details! Register by Nov 19th and save $5!
2020 Chapter Board Elections
Do you have ideas for new ways the chapter can provide value to our membership? We would love you to be a part of our chapter leadership team! We are opening nominations for the 2020 Chapter Board of Directors. You may nominate yourself or someone else. If you nominate someone else, please be sure they are willing to perform the role for the 2020 calendar year. You must be a PMI member in good standing to hold an elected Board position, but you don’t have to hold a PMI certification. Here are our Top 5 reasons to consider being on the chapter Board:
5) Earn PDUs required to maintain an existing PMI credential
4) Give back to the Mississippi Gulf Coast community through community projects
3) Help lead, mentor and develop project and program managers across the Mississippi Gulf Coast
2) Be eligible to attend the PMI North American Leadership Institute Meeting in Philadelphia Oct 3-5, 2019 (paid conference fees and travel/lodging expenses)
1) Help build awareness of our chapter and the disciplines of project and program management
Nominations for each of the Board of Director seats below are NOW OPEN and will remain open until 11:59pm CDT on Friday, August 23rd. Board seats eligible to be filled for 2020 are posted on our Chapter Roles page and include a description, the responsibilities, skills and average volunteer hours per month for each role. If you would like to nominate yourself or someone else, please visit the Board of Directors page on our website and click on Nominations Committee to submit your nomination form. In the “Message” block please include the requested Board position and a brief biography explaining the qualifications of your candidate; if you are self-nominating explain what you hope to offer the chapter through your leadership. Remember, you have until 11:59pm CDT on Friday, August 23rd to submit your nomination.
Electronic voting this year! Your vote matters in the direction and leadership of our growing chapter and we’ve heard you say that voting in-person isn’t convenient, so this year we’re offering electronic voting. Before Monday Sept 9th, you’ll receive an email from PMI asking you to participate in our election process. The email will contain information about each of the candidates and will provide you a URL to submit your vote. Voting will begin on Monday September 9th and close on Friday September 20th. The new 2020 Board members will be introduced at the September Annual Membership Meeting on Thurs Sept 26th and will also be announced in the October newsletter.
The 2019 Board of Directors thanks each of you for your membership and support. We are excited for the upcoming 2020 Board members, and even if you aren’t able to commit to a Board seat, there are many other ways to become involved in the chapter with as little as 1-2 hours in any month! Ask us how you can help grow the chapter membership, mentor colleagues who are trying to build their career in project management, spread awareness of the chapter across Mississippi Gulf Coast employers, or help us host chapter events and earn PDUs.
We look forward to seeing you at our upcoming events!
2019 Board of Directors